Wednesday, July 03, 2002

Last night I had a fun conversation with Rachel about all things nonsensical, such as Kyle's make up, Whitney Friedlander (the annoying *** ****** bitch from Mizzou), and Marci. Although Rachel and I do not inhabit the same political climate, we're more similar than we are different. If I were to pick my dream Real World cast (myself included), she'd be my first roommate choice. Maybe someday Bunim and Murray will discover us.

Melissa brings up an interesting idea in a recent guestbook visit. It's true -- I *am* quite cineliterate. She suggested I list some of, in my opinion, the greatest films ever. In time, I will. Lists such as that require deep concentration and hours at Amazon or the IMDB. However, what I offer this morning is a list of underappreciated films that you have to see!

A Little Romance (1979): In what I have deemed the most romantic film ever, Diane Lane makes her screen debut as a 14-year-old genius vacationing in Paris. She meets the equally brilliant Daniel (Thelonious Bernard), and the unlikely couple make plans to run away to Rome so their despicable respective sets of parents cannot keep them apart. If you're feeling romantic or if you've sworn off true love for good, this film will become one of your favorites.

The House of Yes (1997): If you aren't rolling around in your own urine after laughing, I don't like your sense of humor. Parker Posey. Incest. Tori Spelling. Enough said.

The Lion In Winter (1968): Even if you know nothing of King Henry II (Peter O'Toole) or Elinore of Aquitaine (Katharine Hepburn), the deceit, backstabbing and sharp dialogue should keep you entertained. Unless you suck. And, yes, I did just mention this film a few days ago.

Wings (1927): Yes, God forbid you watch a silent film. However, even if you don't find the film tragic and endearing, you'll appreciate that it was the first film to ever win the Best Picture Oscar. Oh, and it's about war. And it stars Clara Bow!

La Dolce Vita (1960): Sure, you've heard of Fellini's masterpiece, but have you seen it? Naysayers will tell you that the unconnected noises and images mean nothing. Bollocks. The film is about selfishness, indulgence and immaturity. I only love it because it reminds me of how I used to be...