Last night I reluctantly agreed to attend the Crossings Community Church Celebration of America, mainly because Dad still sings in the church choir. I have to admit I was impressed. And to my surprise, my old friend Scott Sargeant and his wife, Amy, were in town from his Marine Corps camp in California. I hadn't seen either of them in about two years. We exchanged the usual pleasantries as well as the proverbial promises to stay in touch.
Then I went back to the Owens' and watched Ghost World. Enid (Thora Birch) embodies everything I hate about the self-proclaimed "counter culture." Perhaps that's why I love the film. She's such a realistic character compared to all the other "I'm different and I hate everyone" degenerates out there not conforming to anything except a preconceived notion of nonconformity. It's "individuality for dummies." I still wonder if anyone really enjoys campy 1960's Indian musicals such as Gumnaam...
Today I got an e-mail from Danny. He's in London studying at Oxford for the summer. Poor guy. And to top it off, he has tickets to Wimbledon and he has to spend a week in Rome, alone in a beautiful house. I guess it's the least life can afford him after sticking him at OU with all the other Heritage Hall grads.
On that bitter note, I've slowly realized how much I loved high school and how much I truly hated college. During my years at MU, I tried so hard to convince myself that I hated high school and that I belonged at MU. As much as I love the four or five friends I made in college, I left MU with a lot more hatred than I did Heritage Hall. Now that I'm home, it's like a dark cloud has been lifted from my head. I swear I was under some evil spell in Missouri. I did not belong there, I have no intention of ever going back, and I really regret going to school there.
Oh well, I'll just tell myself and my parents that at least I have a degree from the NUMBER ONE JOURNALISM SCHOOL IN THE NATION!!!!! And once I get that diploma in the mail, I can't wait to wipe my ass with it.
<< Home