Sunday, July 21, 2002

Working for eight straight hours without a break might explain my food dream last night. In my dream, I was in Dobbs, the cafeteria nearest my dorm (freshman year only, of course) at MU. I was alone, and I couldn't find a place to sit. The tables were full of freshmen, and every time I saw an empty table from a distance, it was occupied by the time I reached it. Finally, I gave up trying to find a place to sit. I went through the line, and all they were serving was carrot cake. Huge, foot-long pieces of carrot cake with big icing roses. In reality, Dobbs wasn't gourmet, but the food wasn't too terribly bad, especially at breakfast.

The dream reminded me of my freshman year in its entirety. That year was one of the best years of my life, academically and socially. I remember thinking then how I'd lost all of my childhood innocence. Now I look back at that year and I can't help but laugh at how naive and sheltered I still was at 19. Of course, now I live with my parents (temporarily) at the age of 23. What does that say about me?