Friday, August 09, 2002

Sometimes sincere sentiment can backfire when people are overlooked. Without speaking vaguely, our vet sent a sincere, handwritten card offering his condolences about Bailey. The card began, "Dear Jay, Cathy and Ashley..." Well excuse the fuck out me, but I don't recall Ashley even being there when he put her to sleep. Ashley doesn't even take her own dog to the vet (apparently, that's Mom and Dad's job because she can't do a single thing for herself). Who (alone) took Bailey on several occasions for her appointments? Who drove the car home when Mom and Dad were sobbing after Bailey was put down? Who spent more than half of his life with the dog? I'm not screaming, "Pity me" (and I know that's how it looks). I just don't see how you could overlook a family member when sending a condolence card. I wasn't upset by it. I thought it was a nice gesture. But still...what's the world coming to when my own vet doesn't even know I exist?