To celebrate my lack of academia, I treated myself to a movie today. I've decided that every Monday afternoon is my time to go to the movies by myself. It's the best way to view any film. Today I saw Jennifer Aniston in The Good Girl, a film I enjoyed much more than I thought I would. Justine (Aniston) and Tom/Holden (Jake what's-his-name from Donnie Darko) both gave credible performances as characters who hated the world for not understanding them. While I agree with the point that most people feel as though the world doesn't understand them, I relate to their angst. It's easy for people ("friends," too, which is sad) to make generalizations about you based on one or two insignificant details and discuss them behind your back. The film was as predictable as a set of instructions, but it made for nice Monday afternoon fare. And most of the other people in the theater were alone, which added to the loner ambiance.
After the film, I stayed around the theater and looked at all the "coming soon" posters. I didn't have to rush. No one nagged me to leave. I know I've complained (paradoxically, granted) about loneliness and seclusion, but I find more and more comfort in being alone and not having to deal with anyone at all.
<< Home