Wednesday, September 18, 2002

Rachel and I are experiencing a similar Donnie Darko/Tears for Fears phase. As previously posted, "Mad World" is one of my favorite TFF songs. "Head Over Heels," however, has special significance as one of those milestone songs. During my junior year of high school, when I was obsessed with (and terrified of) growing up, I played the song over and over. I listened to it during study hall courtesy of my Walkman. I woke up to it thanks to my tape player alarm clock. On the way to and from school, it blared throughout my car. That brilliant scene in Donnie Darko, with nary a line of dialogue, conveys exactly how I felt at that moment in my life (circa 1997). We all carried on and interacted so hurriedly that we were oblivious to everyone else's problems. In between episodes of 24 (which I am watching with a frenetic pace), I must have watched that scene about 10 times. Funny how...times flies.