Igby Goes Down, like Rules of Attraction, focuses on the emotional consequences of the rich and bored. Characters in both films are incapable of love or any other gentle emotion. They thrive on hatred, lust and revenge. Just when I think I associate with them both socioeconomically and emotionally, it hits me: these people bore me. Not in the same way that Oklahomans (or even worse...Missourians) do; but in an "oh, look at how empty and vacuous my life is" kind of way. So, for the first time in a long time (well, actually, ever) it dawns on me that my life, too, might be that boring to other people. Can't let that happen.
Well I'd pontificate further, but my parents are hosting some stuffy party tonight for some guy running for Congress. Or was it Senate? Or state office? Anyway, he and his minions have arrived. Time to put on my smile, consume wine and h'ors dourves, and rub shoulders with a bunch of rich Oklahomans with whom I have absolutely nothing in common.
By the way, wheat grass shots taste just like grass. What's that all about?
<< Home