Yesterday was Ashley's birthday (I know...both of my sisters' birthdays in two consecutive days...WEIRD). I took her to lunch at Tommy's, and although I usually underestimate her and sell her short, she said something quite touching and profound at lunch. I told her about my plan to live in Oklahoma City, sell pharmaceuticals, and make a whole bunch of money. In essence, she told me I've got too much potential to do something so basic. She said she'd be disappointed if I didn't end up writing or pursuing a career in film. Her comment shed a new light on my current "job" situation. Yes, I would love to stay here, make a lot of money, be an uncle, and see my friends. But what about what I've always wanted to (the far less practical)? I'm sending my resume to the pharmaceutical company this afternoon, and I can't help but feel trapped right now. If I'm hired, I know I'll stay here for another two or three years. By that time, Hollywood might be a distant memory. However, a small part of me will be relieved if I don't get the job. Although I'll be back to step one (waiting tables), at least I'll be free to do what I know my heart wants to do.
But that loft apartment downtown looks so comfy...
Song of the Day
"The Way You Make Me Feel" by Michael Jackson
<< Home