Aakash, my friend from work, has coined several hip phrases and euphemisms that are gradually entering my speech. Here are a few of his choice nuggets, followed by their translations.
We were vibin' on each other
(There exists an attraction between us)
We were clownin' him
(We made fun of him, like a clown, because he acts childish)
Slip to the hip
(???)
Word
(I concur)
After a delightful lunch with Lyndsay at Chili's, I saw Far From Heaven, which stars Julianne Moore as a "liberal" 1950's housewife. When I read that the film pays homage to the Douglas Sirk melodramas of the 1950s, I thought the tribute would be subtle. Oh no. Everything from the swelling score to the faux outdoor sets brings to life the technicolor dream world of old school cinema. Even the acting style ranges from the campy to the rehearsed, an intentional (if not genius) move. Although I had my qualms with the in-your-face message of tolerance, I loved the film's style. And any movie that features a 24 star is bound to delight.
Speaking of...only one more hour.
<< Home