I had no desire to see Antwone Fisher because I thought it looked like a syrupy rehash of Men of Honor. However, my parents talked me into it, and I'm admittedly glad I saw it. Yes, it was a bit soft and heartwarming, but it also told an interesting story and told it well. Denzel Washington has an unlikely directorial talent, which is especially evident in the opening flashback scene. I won't babble on about the film, but I can't say enough good things about it.
Speaking of film...each year for the past five years, my heart has raced with the arrival of Entertainment Weekly's Oscar prediction issue (Renee! Catherine!). Granted, with as much importance as I tend to place on movie awards (I know, shame on me), none of their predictions are huge surprises. The thrill is seeing my predictons validated by the self-proclaimed experts on the topic. I know I told some of you that Road to Perdition was a flash in the pan that would be forgotten come Oscar time. Now I know that remains to be seen, but...well...I'm right.
Now if only I had the help of Jill, my former Vox co-editor, to further extrapolate this year's nominees.
<< Home