I talked to my college roommate (Sarah) this morning. She's graduating from MU's J School this weekend (I hope her guest and student speakers don't suck like mine did). After reminiscing about my college years for about an hour, I'm left with one glaring thought: college was a complete blur (I can already hear some of you groaning, "Oh God, not another post-college post). Don't get me wrong. I'm at peace with my college years. I've accepted the fact that I didn't shake the earth and that my columns in the MU Student News stunk to high Hell (well...most of them). I've also accepted the fact that I went through those four years aloof and in a stupor that, for the most part, kept me from relating to and interacting with other people. I've accepted all those things, but it's still kind of depressing. I suppose that, looking back, I just wanted to walk away with some greater picture or purpose. But as I've said before, I wouldn't trade those years. And in celebration of those formative years, I've created an abridged chronological list of songs that defined my college years.
Freshman Year
"My Favorite Mistake" by Sheryl Crow
"Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" and "Carry On" by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
"Satellite" by DMB
"Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles
"Scarborough Fair/Canticle" by Simon and Garfunkel
Sophomore Year
"Because" by Elliott Smith
"Any Other Name" by Thomas Newman
"Sandman" by America
"Porcelain" by Moby
"Friday I'm In Love" by The Cure
"Goodbye Stranger" by Supertramp
"For Once In My Life" by Stevie Wonder
Junior Year
"Feel Flows" by The Beach Boys
"America" by Simon and Garfunkel
"Everything Reminds Me of Her" by Elliott Smith
"Now That I've Found You" by Allison Krauss
"Singin' the Blues" by Dean Martin
"Promises, Promises" by Naked Eyes
Senior Year
"Eclipse" by Pink Floyd
"Barely Legal" by The Strokes
"Subterranean Homesick Alien" and "Exit Music for a Film" by Radiohead
"Why Don't You Write Me" by Simon and Garfunkel
"California" by Rufus Wainwright
"Just Like Heaven" by The Cure
"Bookends/Old Friends" by Simon and Garfunkel
<< Home