Monday, May 19, 2003

You had me at Funny Honey

I love you, Renee Zellweger. Nevermind the contempt America has for you because of the adorable squint of your face. They have yet to see your ability to channel Doris Day. I was remiss at first to miss Matrix: Reloaded in its opening weekend, but after experiencing the delight of Down with Love, I say, "Eat your heart out, Carrie-Anne Moss!" I won't deny the delight I derive from camp film, and Love is a goldmine of those zany qualities. As for Renee, she's as charming as the faux technicolor world she inhabits.

Speaking of camp film...how could Entertainment Weekly overlook Mommie Dearest on its list of the Top 50 Cult Classics? I'm sorry, but The Shawshank Redemption is hardly a cult classic. A masterpiece, yes. But a cult classic? I guess I missed the scene in which the prison guards beat Tim Robbins with a wire hanger.