Thursday, June 12, 2003

All grown up and no place to go

I talked to my friend Ashley tonight. She and her husband, James, just moved to Wichita, where he'll be starting his residency. Although they're only two hours away, it always depresses me when people move. However, it also makes me excited to move to Laguna and start all over again. As I told Ashley, moving to an unknown place is a great test of character. I remember when Marni and Jay moved to Omaha for his residency. The more I came to visit, the more they seemed to enjoy the city. They knew all the fun places to eat and the other hot spots. And as glad as I am that they've moved back, I'll always have a soft spot for Omaha because it reminds me of them.

The fact that I'm old enough (and single enough) to pick up and move anywhere I want is one of the most exhilarating things about my age. And in two hours, I will be 24 years old. And I'm starting to realize why so many old people say they really came to life in their mid-20's. Oh yes, the best is yet to come, my young friends.