Monday, September 08, 2003

Birthdays and bulging biceps

Today is a good day for two reasons:

1) It is Jack's (my nephew) first birthday. I went to Toys 'R' Us and went wild with my wallet and started a frightening trend of spoiling him rotten. The most important gift, however, is a 5x7 framed picture of him and his favorite uncle. Once I get my scanner up and running again, I'll be sure to post hundreds of brag pictures to prove that he is, in deed, the cutest one-year-old IN THE WORLD!

2) I have uped the ante of my goal to look physically fit (i.e. perfect). In addition to adding on more weights at the gym, I'm also running three miles every morning (by every morning, I mean I started today). What is most surprising is where I decided to run. I had plannedon using the YMCA track on Penn Ave, but that looked, well, non-existent. So I found myself driving down the street to my high school stomping grounds. I used their state-of-the-art all-weather track that replaced the gravel road we used when I was a teenager. I also ran into my cross country coach as well as the volleyball coach and the head football coach. I was shocked they remembered me (and that they didn't kick me out of the gym as they did when I was a mere P.E. student in 6th grade). I was filled with an overwhelming sense of nostalgia that ended the second I stepped off of the track and my body went into shock. Apparently that six year absence of consistently running between high school and post-college catches up with you. I can't walk.

So I leave with great fondness and great soreness. I'll be in the tub.