Saturday, October 11, 2003

Still the one

In fourth grade, my friend Jackie and I discussed our mutual adoration for the NBC musical drama Rags to Riches. Even then, Jackie was the nicest girl in our class. Once we became close friends in middle school, our focus shifted to Melrose Place and Saturday Night Live. To pass the time in P.E., we'd make up a variety of nonsensical jokes that are, 10 years later, still making us snicker. Even though we parted ways in high school, we kept in touch, drove around listening to Phil Collins, and ate dinner at the country club on someone else's tab (I won't say whose).

And as I type this entry, in a Colorado State T-shirt Jackie gave me, she's getting ready for her wedding. I had absolutely no idea I'd be this nostalgic, but it all hit me when I woke up this morning. I'm incredibly happy for her (especially because, for once, I like the man in her life), and I know it will take my breath away when I see her in her wedding dress tonight.