Thursday, December 04, 2003

The best of West

As my sister remains in Palo Alto for post-op tests, I am filling in for her at her place of employment. This means I answer phones and schedule appointments at a local skin clinic. My temporary job has endless perks, including free facial products and laser procedures. I also receive a very nice (and very expensive) lunch each day for free. To top it off, on my nights off from the restaurant, the owners take me drinking and dining and foot the entire bill. I think I'm in Heaven.

Of course, today I had to take a break from the clinic to do a favor for dear Professor Nancy West from Mizzou. You see, she is being nominated for a prestigious Kemper award, and out of all the people she knows, she asked me to write one of her five letters of recommendation. Well, of course I was flattered. And I wrote a brilliant letter. I just forgot to mail it. And with its due date not far away, I had to haul ass out of the clinic, print off the letter and Priority mail it to Columbia.

But fear not, readers, for I have found several instances in which to spoil myself and reward myself for helping out so many people. First, I've been shopping like crazy. Second, I saw Bad Santa, which, along with Elf, is the funniest movie of the past ten years. I would only advise the strong at heart and those who are not easily offended to see it.