Friday, May 07, 2004

Emma invisible?

What disappointed me most about the Friends finale is that it didn't break any television records. In fact, I find the 55 million viewers to be a rather pithy figure. Coming in at a close second on the disappointing list (a list that only has two items) is the complete absence of Emma.

Wasn't it just last week that Rachel was packing for Paris and remarked, "I even have everything that Emma will need on the plane." Well, I for one did not see Emma at the Newark airport. I did not even hear her name mentioned in the finale. Did I miss something? I tried not to get so drunk as to miss any pertinent plot points. So maybe I missed the part where Rachel says she sent Emma ahead of her. Or maybe I missed the part where Rachel gave Emma up for adoption to Carol so that all of Ross' offspring could be raised by the same moms.

Everything else was perfect (SPOILERS FOLLOW). The twist with the twins took me by surprise. I got goosebumps when I heard Rachel say, "I got off the plane." And thanks to some particularly strong Jose Cuervo, I became a bit more than teary eyed when the gang went to Central Perk for one last round of java.

Now that I've poured out my heart about Friends, I think I'll take Rachel's advice to Chandler and "watch a little more ESPN and a lot less E!"