The One Where I Talk About Friends
I've been avoiding this post for a few days. If I write something along the lines of Friends seeing me through high school, college and beyond, you'll ask, "Could he be anymore pathetic?" If I write a mere list of my favorite episodes or moments, I'm not doing the show justice.
So I'll just start by saying that I've never been so devastated by the finale of a series (including 1999's anti-climactic Melrose Place finale). It's true. The show has been a staple of my early and mid 20s. I do have a lengthy list of favorite episodes and moments. Perhaps more than anything, the show (and its theme song) has taught me that everyone my age goes through the same problems. We've all hated our jobs. We've all worried about paying rent. We've all fallen in and out of love with the same people only to be hurt again (ok, so my track record with love isn't quite as momentous, but I lived vicariously through Ross whenever he had feelings, good or bad, for Rachel).
Although I viewed the show off-and-on after college, I still took comfort in the fact that it was in producation. Now I've taken Must-See-TV for granted and I'm already feeling something akin to empty nest syndrome (although the whole it's-just-sit-com thing prevents me from going on and on about this).
I'll miss those preposterous situations. I'll pine for the uncanny chemistry of those six actors (say what you'd like, they all achieved moments of comedic genius throughout a decade). Most of all, I'll reflect when I see their faces in syndication. Good or bad, I'll be able to tell you where I was in life based on the episode. When a show that memorable has been on for so long, it stays in a true fan's heart long after the cameras are turned off for good.
So long Rachel, Monica, Phoebe, Chandler, Joey and Ross. I fear we're going to be on a very long break.
<< Home