Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Like a bad habit

I'm giving up something I should have given up long ago. Most (if not all) of you are still victim to the vice in one way or another. And I pity you. You've been deceived. You've been deprived of things much better. You've actually been made less intelligent. I won't miss this particular addiction.

I am giving up reality T.V.

No more Real World. No more Bachelor/ette. No more American Idol.

When I say "giving up," I mean it. I won't even watch a glimpse of anything remotely reeking of reality T.V.

Why?

Because:

1) When you watch reality T.V., you're not watching an actual union-affiliated program that supports working actors (unless you have Tivo), writers, directors, crew members, etc. Because of the thousands of wannabe losers whose 15 minutes stink up the airwaves, actors such as myself are in lesser demand. Apparently, ignorant America would rather watch someone "real" pass a kidney stone, give some overgrown frat boy a red rose, or belt out an Elton John tune after going down on Simon Cowell (off camera of course, dawg).

2) Speaking of those red roses given out by that average looking lady on ABC, yes, I do know the gentleman caller from Oklahoma City. His exact words when asked (off-camera) about pursuing the "love of his life?" "Dude, I don't care about that, I just want to be famous." Now he's hounding friends of mine about what it takes to make it in the acting business. Somehow I don't feel threatened.

3) The only surprise that American Idol could offer would be a top 12 consisting of talent, not trash. I live in Los Angeles. The last thing I want to come home to is a marginally talented performer trying to enchant the living rooms of America.

4) With such well-written shows as 24, Alias, CSI, Boston Legal and Desperate Housewives (just to name a few), why would I give a shit what happens when seven retarded strangers are forced to go out drinking on MTV's dollar?

5) I've cried all the tears I can cry over the blatant, what's-next-a-choir-of-cancer-stricken-children-singing-"Heal the World" goodness of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. We get it. You all are really, really nice.

6) I don't give a rat's ass who you Elimidate, you're all white trash/ghetto gross.

7) I've applied to be a contestant on a couple of these shows, and I'm still bitter that I wasn't picked to participate.

So who's with me? Who else will be bold enough to turn away from reality T.V. for something much better? Let the networks know we won't stand for it anymore. Show the world that you can't pass just anything as entertainment. Help feed struggling actors all over Los Angeles.