Money, money, money
One of the nicest things about L.A. is its overwhelming abundance of everything. Within 10 minutes from my apartment, I can be surrounded by millions of dollars of merchandise, architecture, celebrity and gluttony.
After garnering a considerable amount of loot during Christmas, I decided to do as the Romans do and spend every last penny (after opening a very pragmatic savings account).
Before I continue, just know that I had some serious cash to burn (I also decided to awaken my previously paid-in-full Visa after a depressing period of hibernation).
My sojourn began at Best Buy, where I acquired 12 DVDs that I knew I needed but never wanted to buy. It continued at Ikea, where I upgraded my current DVD storage shelf to two very tall shelves that beautifully house my newly alphabetized collection.
After an exorbitant lunch at the Newsroom in West Hollywood, I headed west to Beverly Hills, where I found my way into Barney's New York. Boasting six stories, Barney's is a place where, unless you have a poodle and some botox marks, you won't be helped by one of the bitchy queens who sulk around with everything but a long black cigarette holder. I purchased some sweaters, jeans, and my first pair of Prada shoes.
(For the record, I am completely aware of how masculine my day sounds)
After a trip to the Beverly Hills Gap and Banana Republic, I headed to Melrose to peruse the racks of the vintage clothing stores. I then went into Old Hollywood to Amoeba Records, which boasts hundreds of millions of rare CDs and LPs. I bought an antique record player and some Rolling Stones and Simon & Garfunkel LPs (I also bought "OK Computer" on vinyl, which sounds like a completely different recording with the beautiful crisp of the record player).
My final stop was to Target, where I purchased practical items, a few more DVDs, and an iTunes gift certificate.
When I got home, I didn't want to take any of my purchases out of their shrink wrap (let alone the shopping bags). This, of course, reveals the most deadly shopping vice of all...the need to buy, not to own. My DVDs will join dozens of other DVDs that I've owned since college and have never opened. I'll wear my new clothes once or twice before realizing they're not as flattering as I thought.
And once that moment of boredom surfaces, I'll know exactly where to find my next big thrill.
<< Home