Monday, August 22, 2005

In summation

- The Lexus commercial shoot took place on a racecar track in Rosamond, which is conveniently located in the Mojave desert. Over the course of two days, I was nestled in my air-conditioned trailer as to avoid the wretched desert winds. I was also a regular at the craft services tent, which boasted more food than I've ever seen in my lifetime. Breakfast options included made-to-order breakfast sandwiches (sausage, bacon, egg, avocado), bagels, muffins, donuts, omelettes, cold cereal, homemade oatmeal, toast and a full-service coffee bar. For lunch, our choices were prime rib, shrimp scampi, roasted chicken, vegetable pasta or salmon, paired with a choice of six different salads and either asparagus or steamed broccoli. Our after lunch snack included homemade malts, milkshakes, homemade peach pie, sundaes or homemade chocolate chip cookies. The luxuries ended once the shoot began. For my part, I almost caught fire when I was filmed lighting a trough of gasoline that ran about 150 yards down the straightway of the race track. The desired effect was that this trough would shoot up in a long line of fire, which the car would race. As I attempted to light the trough for the first time, the spark shot straight up in my face and blew an obscene amount of toxic fumes into my nostrils. My ball cap caught on fire, and I was nanoseconds away from becoming Michael Jackson circa 1986. I was, however, happy to be there. And well fed.

- Though I see a lot of celebrities at both of my jobs, I was unabashedly starstruck last week when I met Gilligan's Island movie star Ginger Grant (Tina Louise). Because I gave her a guest pass, Tina was nice enough to leave a little note in my employee mailbox on my day off. My first autograph is also my favorite.

- You've heard that Faye Dunaway is crazy. I have second-hand proof. A friend of mine recently attended an AFI screening for one of its many zany independent films. He sat next to Miss Dunaway, who attended the screening alone. During the entire film, she had a small light attached to a clipboard and was taking detailed notes. My friend, a fan, decided during a rather boring part of the film to whisper to Miss Dunaway, "I'm a huge fan, I really respect your work." Faye Dunaway did not flinch. She did not acknowledge my friend. Instead, she wrote in the midst of her notes, "I'm a huge fan, I really respect your work," and continued writing.