Friday, November 11, 2005

Blown away



My continued cheers to the Lost team for keeping the sophomore season sharp. Killing off Shannon, the sole remaining annoyance (unless you count Hurley, I'm sorry but I can't stand him), was brilliant. And while I don't want to spoil anything, just wait until next week's episode, which is solely about the other castaways and their experiences on the island from day one. Now that the two groups are about to merge, the show's direction is going to change, thanks in part to the riddance of superfluous characters.

Shannon and Boone should never have been on the show (but that's a minor gripe for such a brilliantly and consistently executed premise). Just look at the two weak back stories that served to "develop" their characters. I was supposed to feel sorry for Shannon because her bitchy step-mother wouldn't give her money? John Locke's father steals his kidney, and I'm supposed to feel empathy for Shannon?

And then there's Boone. What, exactly, was the point of bringing him back other than giving the admittedly bitter Ian Somerhalder a chance to stretch his remedial acting muscles? Please tell me that we've seen the last of Shannon and Boone.