Why can't I quit you?
One of the many perks of being a SAG member is that I am invited to member-only screenings of movies months in advance before they are released. Most, if not all, of these screenings feature cast member Q&As. And while Brokeback Mountain isn't at the top of my to-see list, I'm seeing it tonight and Jake Gyllenhaal is hosting a Q&A. Best of all, the screening is two blocks away from my apartment so I'll be able to walk.
But don't think that my brush with fame comes without a price. In reference to the previously mentioned job from Hell, I was scheduled to work this evening. And because I am a new SAG member, I only found out about the screening on Saturday, which didn't leave me a lot of time to have my shift covered. However, because of the sheer volume of servers at the new restaurant, I was sure I'd cover my shift with ease.
Every server not working tonight said "No." Only after I bribed someone into working a double did I succeed. However, because of labor laws, servers working a double must have an hour break. My manager, whose personality test scores must rank in the negative, told me that I would need to come in for an hour to give this server a break. So tonight, from five to six, I will working the world's shortest restaurant shift.
And I can't go home for Christmas because of this place? We'll see about that.
<< Home