The songs you'd least expect
My music taste has improved over the years. Believe it not, there were times when nothing sounded more soothing than a little Phil Collins after work (though I do still get chills when I hear "One More Night"). Over the years, I've graduated from shameful to novice.
I don't mean to say I've always been oblivious to good music. I've always enjoyed the mainstays (Beatles, U2, Radiohead, Coldplay, etc). But...when people rattle off their favorite songs of the aforementioned, mine are rarely brought up. So maybe I've picked the right bands but the wrong songs?
For instance, of all the Beatles songs in the pantheon of Beatles songs, the one that is my undeniable favorite is the brief but brilliant "Sun King" from their "Abbey Road" album. Fans of Radiohead can keep "Exit Music (for a Film)" and "Fake Plastic Trees." I'm happy to hear "Subterranean Homesick Alien" (though the entirety of "Ok Computer" makes up the score for my senior year of college). And when it comes to Coldplay, I'd rather hear "High Speed" than "Yellow."
My favorite U2 song is "I Will Follow." "Shadow Captain" embodies, in my opinion, Crosby Stills & Nash at their finest. And if I could only hear one Pink Floyd song for the rest of my life, it would be "Eclipse."
So I'm on the right track. Maybe someday I'll even get rid of Phil Collins live. Baby steps.
<< Home