Friday, March 03, 2006

The dream is still very much alive

I hadn't been to Hollywood in a long time until last night. After a movie, my friends and I decided to try and sneak into the Kodak Theatre for a glimpse of the Oscar setting. As I've learned, the trick to sneaking in anywhere in Los Angeles is to act like you belong and to not appear nervous. So after breezing past security, my friends and I set foot on the same red carpet that will guide the feet of Sundays winners and nominees.

And once again, I felt inspired by the same feeling that got me through college and brought me out here with all my possessions and no money. My goal is to (even if only symbolically) walk that red carpet.

So in keeping with the Oscar theme, I present my predictions and wishes for this year's Oscar race in my favorite categories.

Best Picture
Who Should Win: Crash
Who Will Win: Brokeback Mountain
I found Brokeback to be slow and uninvolving. Crash, though flawed, is the most dynamic and compelling of this year's nominees.
Should Have Been a Contender: King Kong, Match Point

Best Director
Who Should Win: Steven Spielberg, Munich
Who Will Win: Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain
Call me biased, but I don't think Brokeback should win for any of the major categories, especially compared to the directorial scope and marvel of Munich
Should Have Been a Contender: Peter Jackson, King Kong

Best Actor
Who Should Win: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
Who Will Win: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
Hoffman deserves to win not only for his outstanding depiction of Truman Capote, but for his years of being overlooked, as well.
Should Have Been a Contender: Viggo Mortensen, A History of Violence

Best Actress
Who Should Win Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
Who Will Win Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line
Witherspoon would deserve to win any other year, but no performance was as painstakingly crafted as Huffman's portrayal of a transgender parent. Considering what a horribly weak category this is (Mrs. Henderson Presents, seriously??), only the two of them even deserve to be nominated.
Should Have Been a Contender: Gwyneth Paltrow, Proof

Best Supporting Actor
Who Should Win Paul Giamatti, Cinderella Man
Who Will Win George Clooney, Syriana
Without question, Giamatti should win. So what if George Clooney put on weight? No one deserves anything for Syriana except a marketing license from NyQuil.
Should Have Been a Contender: Don Cheadle, Crash

Best Supporting Actress
Who Should Win Amy Adams, Junebug
Who Will Win Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
I would love for Weisz to win for her brilliant performance, but who could resist the charms of Adam's nuanced comedy work?
Should Have Been a Contender: Gong Li, Memoirs of a Geisha