THE HOTTEST POP CULTURE ICONS
PART FOUR: THE 90s
The 90s, for me, will always be one of the tackiest decades ever. Look at the cringe-inducing hair, sweater vests and scrunchies that set out to ruin fashion forever in the formative years of the decade. However, the ladies of this 10-year stretch defied style conventions and dated looks by being totally hot. Whether heating up prime time soaps or going sapphic for the silver screen, these ladies made their mark on a fairly unremarkable decade.
Laura Leighton
Slut with a heart of gold

The first moment of Melrose Place I ever saw involved Syndey (Laura) blackmailing her brother-in-law into marrying her. I fell in love immediately. For three more glorious seasons, I watched as Sydney became a hooker, a stripper, a mental patient, and a porn producer. She ultimately met her maker on her wedding day, which marked the end of the show's appeal. But to have etched such a complex portrait of villainy and slutiness in the minds of TV viewers is quite remarkable.
Because she played trashy so well, Laura Leighton is one of the hottest pop culture icons of the 1990s.
Gwyneth Paltrow
Silver spoon snob and fashion icon

Perhaps Gwyneth is an obvious choice for the honor of 90s pop culture icon. But let's look at the star during her Seven/Great Expectations/Sliding Doors/Shakespeare In Love/Talented Mr. Ripley era. Did any other star become such an emblematic mannequin for all the top designers? Whether clad in Prada or jeans and a white T-shirt, Gwyneth looked incredible in every single solitary outfit she wore. That is, of course, because Gwyneth Paltrow is one of the most beautiful women ever. Period.
Because she brought class back to a grungy era, Gwyneth Paltrow is one of the hottest pop culture icons of the 1990s.
Michelle Pfeiffer
Feline fun on film

Including 1960s Julie Newmar, two of the ladies on my list were selected because of their performance as Catwoman. And with all due respect to Ms. Newmar, Michelle Pfeiffer put the "rrr" in "purrr." Watch as she wields her whip with all the ferocious energy of an oversexed killer. Batman Returns aside, Pfeiffer was a natural beauty from the get-go and remained stunning in her latter 90s films A Midsummer Night's Dream and The Story of Us.
Michelle Pfeiffer knew her way inside body-hugging latex, and as a result is one of the hottest pop culture icons of the 1990s.
Keri Russell
Conflicted college student, total babe

I'm remiss to say I never watched Felicity in college. When I think of those four additional years I could have spent pining for Keri Russell, I'm beside myself. When I say that "so-and-so is one of the most beautiful women ever," I naturally include Keri Russell as a staple "one-of." That angelic face and those perfect lips make me want to take out my tape recorder and tell Sally I'm in love. Keri, I'll even see Mission Impossible 3 for you. That's how devoted I am.
Because Keri Russell made straight men all over the world watch Felicity, she is one of the hottest pop culture icons of the 1990s.
Jennifer Tilly
Oscar-nominated cult icon

Say what you will about the thespian skills of Jennifer Tilly, but no other recent actress has been such a va-va-voom throwback to the pinup girls of the 1930s. With her ample bosom and sultry-yet-stupid facial expressions, Jennifer Tilly is a better Mae West than Mae West herself. And come on. Watch her in Liar Liar or, much better yet, Bound, and you know she's hot. Believe me, I'd fix her bathroom sink in an instant.
A throwback to the fuller-figured sex icons of Hollywood's golden era, Jennifer Tilly is one of the hottest pop culture icons of the 1990s.
<< Home