Monday, April 17, 2006

Say cheese

Remember that episode of Friends where Chandler just can't seem to smile for his and Monica's engagement picture? That's how I feel each time I have my headshots taken. Tomorrow marks my fourth ordeal in front of the camera.

Nevermind that headshots will cost you half a month's income. Forget that your opinion will differ from your agent's, whose will differ from your manager's, whose is not even on the same page as your acting teacher's. Don't take into account that my face, normally oily but perfect, looks like that of a 14-year-old boy.

But yet I am determined to take a good headshot. Unlike times past, I will have "something going on" with my eyes. I won't look too serious or too playful. I will take the headshot that inspires retouchers, photographers, casting directors and producers to gaze into my deep soul and choose me.

My hair will look perfect, my face will look 23 years old (I only lie to the representation, not to myself).

And if I'm lucky, I won't have to take another headshot for six months to a year.